Feautured Video

Long Lost Friends

As I've mentioned, this blog will be coming to a final end at the end of this month. I thought I'd take advantage of these last days of my blog and see if maybe, just maybe, I can find four of the people who I've lost contact with over the years.

*When I was four & five years old I was friends with fraternal twins named Mindy and Missy. They lived in Ankeny, Iowa at the time and attended my same daycare, A Child's World. I was especially close with Mindy and so I hid with her on her last day when she cried and didn't want to be picked up because she was moving to Indianola, Iowa. Her mom was a single mother and I believe she was getting married or maybe just moving in with her boyfriend. Anyway, my mom and I were horrified that night to turn on the evening news and see/hear that Mindy's car had been in an accident during their move. Mindy's body was thrown through the window and was in a coma. I never heard whether she lived or died. I have never forgotten the twins despite it being 26 years. I wish that I had a last name. . .I even tried looking up the car accident when I worked at a TV station in 2002/2003 (from the 1985 archives) but was not successful. Mindy was a sweet girl; I pray that she made a full recovery and is happily living somewhere, maybe married with her own kids now. I may never know, but if anyone has any information please leave a comment or email me at MemoriesAsAMom@gmail.com

*In first grade (1986-1987) I was friends with a girl named Michelle Bradford. We had a lot of fun together at our school, Northwest Elementary in Mrs Doup's class. At the end of the year she moved away from Ankeny, Iowa to St. Louis. I have googled her name and found that there are many Michelle Bradfords in the world, but I have no idea which one she is. She would be my same age (born in 1979 or 1980), but it's possible she's gotten married and isn't using "Bradford" as her last name anymore. I think she had an older brother. As stated above, if anyone has any info please leave a comment or email at MemoriesAsAMom@gmail.com -- I do have some pictures of her:*In second grade (1987-1988) I was good friends with a girl named Nicole McElvogue who was a year older than me in school (so, born in 1978 or 1979). We attended the same daycare, Afternoon Connection in Ankeny, Iowa. She had red hair and we were both daughters of single mothers. I think she had two older brothers. We were inseparable, so when she moved away shortly before I did in 1988, we kept in touch. We were pen pals for the next few years but when I was in sixth grade we lost touch. We had usually written each other letters the minute that we received them in the mail, but that year several months went by and I remember that my letter to her came back to me because she had moved. Until then, she had lived in or near Springfield, Missouri. I think her mom had remarried but it also sounds familiar that they might have gotten divorced. I had hoped that maybe she would write me again since I lived in the same house until 1998, but I never heard from her again after 1991-ish. I have tried googling her, thinking that she should be easy to find with an uncommon last name -- but there is no record of her even on Intelius (which, whatever name you've ever had on your drivers license is in the system). I was sad to lose touch with her and pray that she is still alive and well. If anyone has any information, please leave a comment or email me at MemoriesAsAMom@gmail.com

*In junior high I was friends with a girl named Samantha Smith. But she has the most common name of all, so even though I remember the most about her compared to the other girls, she seems to be the hardest to find. We had so much fun together and my other friends all loved her, too. Last week (in my post titled Grown Up Christmas List) I mentioned that junior high was a difficult time in my life. Well, Samantha made it a lot better! She only lived in Marengo, IA for a short time -- a year-and-a-half, but left a strong mark on our lives. She had been through many rough times in her young life but had kept a fun, bubbly personality. She had such a good soul and was so full of life. She promised to keep in touch and she gave me a gift and her new address -- however, she had to leave abruptly before we were able to have a proper goodbye. I immediately sent a letter to her new address but it was returned as not available. I was devastated! I prayed that she was okay. . .and I still do. I know she had an older sister Stacy (among other siblings) and a stepdad named Richard/Rick. Even though she was in my class (that graduated in 1998), I remember that she was a year older (so born in 1978 or 1979). She left our school, Iowa Valley, in 1994. I would LOVE to see her again (pictured below). . .please leave a comment or email me at MemoriesAsAMom@gmail.comIt would be wonderful if my blog could reunite me with any of these old friends!!!!!

0 comments:

Leave a Comment