Feautured Video

FOD of the Month: You need to meet Ariana Page Russell

The Dolls love to roll deep.  We like to surround ourselves with awesome ladies with a variety of talents and interests.  So we've been pretty stoked to add Ariana to our "Friend of the Dolls" rolodex.  She's definitely got what it takes to play with us and we are proud to honor her as Novemeber's FOD of the Month.


1) What do your weekdays generally consist of (ie, how do you make money, what are you working on, etc?)
I'm an artist, so do various things for that.  For example, working on projects in my studio, making temporary tattoos of nipples at home, sending images out, applying for grants, photographing my stomach, etc.  Today I had a Skype interview with a newspaper in Columbia!  My day job is a dental assistant, so I'm looking in people's mouths a lot.







2) When you're not running around with the Dolls, what do your weekends usually consist of?
Going to art openings, galleries, museums, music shows, taking walks around the city, or relaxing at home with my adorable cat Beep.


3) How did you get mixed up with the Dolls?
Through mutual friends over some homemade sushi.  Then at a rooftop party that ended with me going home carrying a cupcake at 4am.  It was all downhill from there ;) 


4) What's your favorite thing about rolling with these ladies?
They aren't afraid to be silly so we laugh all over the place, even with the impending doom of a hurricane (see image).



5) If you could dictate an ideal Dolls Day or Night Out, what would it be?
Let's go to brunch and then have a vintage dress up day!

Ariana playing dress up at the Dusty Rose Vintage Fashion's Night Out party


6) We're all huge fans of your work, so could you tell us a little about your art?
Thank you!  I make work about skin, and in particular my skin condition called dermatographia.  Using temporary tattoos, collage, photographs, video, wallpaper, and window decals, I'm exploring unconventional ideas of beauty.  I think we experience life through our bodies as well as our minds, and skin is our largest organ.  So it's a great place to start, especially since it reveals so much about us. 


 




7) What are your three favorite things to do in NYC?
Watch fireflies in the summer (I love the summer here!), go for boat rides (especially to Ft Tilden!), and look at all the amazing art and architecture New York has to offer (the Met is one of my favorites!)


8) How long have you had bangs?
Since 2007


9) Do you have any recurring dreams?
Many of my dreams involve water: looking at it, swimming in it, riding on it, sliding into it, walking next to it, or flying above it.  Sometimes there are cool creatures in it too.  But not really one recurring dream in particular...it's more of a theme.


10) East coast or West coast?
East (even though I'm from the West coast and and some things are just better out there)


11) What's one thing you can't get enough of these days?
Cheesy hip hop and R & B.  It reminds me of when I was a kid.


12) Tell us one random thing about yourself. 
I'm an avid snowboarder and have been doing it for the past 17 years.  It's almost that season again, who wants to go!?



How cool is this girl?  Thanks for being our friend, Ariana!!!  We're looking forward to many more good times to come!  I'm pretty sure I see a brunch and then vintage dress up cocktail party in our future!  

Love and punches,
Mess Demeanor

0 comments:

Leave a Comment