Feautured Video

New Gadgets for the Thanksgiving kitchen

Thanksgiving is almost here, and this year we’re doing things a little bit differently. Usually, I head out with my husband and kids to my mother-in-law’s house in Chicago for our big, extended family meal. This year, the family is coming to us.

Since we’ll be the ones in the kitchen, I’ve been looking into the best ways to prepare the traditional holiday meal. I’m not a fan of dry, tasteless turkey (is anyone?) and have vowed not to serve it to my guests. There are various schools of thought on what the best way is to cook a turkey: roasting, deep-frying, or infrared cooking. Each can produce great results if done properly and if you have the right tools.

If you’re roasting your bird, it’s critical that you cook it to the correct temperature. Undercooking the turkey can be dangerous, while overcooking can make it inedibly dry. The FDA recommends cooking turkey to an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Most chefs recommend pulling your turkey out of the oven when it’s about 5-10 degrees cooler — the temperature in the interior will continue to rise from the residual heat.

0 comments:

Leave a Comment